Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez returned to Cuba Monday for another cancer operation.
CARACAS — Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez returned to Cuba Monday and said he would undergo another cancer operation in coming days after doctors found malignant cells during tests in Cuba.
"It is necessary for me to have a new intervention in the coming days," Chavez said in a televised broadcast. The socialist leader had flown back to Venezuela on Friday after the tests in Cuba.
The 58-year-old president has already had three cancer operations in Cuba since the middle of last year. News of more surgery will likely raise new doubts about his political future and the fate of his self-styled "revolution" in the OPEC nation.
In his comments Saturday, Chavez sat alongside members of his Cabinet, including Vice President Nicolas Maduro and Congress head Diosdado Cabello, two close and powerful allies who might look to replace him if Chavez were to leave office.
MSN News on Facebook and Twitter
Stay up to date on breaking news and current events.
Friend us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/news.msn
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/msnnews