Relatives of theater shooting victims reject movie invitation

A letter from the family members to the theater company was released Wednesday, the same day attorneys in the case returned to court before a hearing next week in which evidence against the shooter will be made officially public.

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — Relatives of the majority of people killed in a Colorado movie theater are rejecting an invitation to attend its reopening, calling it a "disgusting offer."

The parents, grandparents, cousins and widow of nine of the 12 people killed released a letter Wednesday sent to the theater's owner, Cinemark. The Plano, Texas-based company has been renovating the Aurora theater and plans to re-open it Jan. 17.

The company had no immediate comment.

The families said they were invited to an "evening of remembrance" followed by a movie. They said the company's timing was "awful" in sending the invitations two days after Christmas.

On Wednesday, prosecutors and defense lawyers in the shooting case headed back to court in advance of a crucial hearing.

State District Judge William B. Sylvester has told both sides to appear before him to make sure everything is ready for next week's preliminary hearing, when prosecutors will outline their case against the defendant, James Holmes.

At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, Sylvester will decide if the evidence is sufficient to put Holmes on trial.

Video: People appalled by theater re-opening invitation

Holmes is charged with killing 12 people and wounding 70 on July 20 in the Aurora movie theater. Prosecutors say he opened fire during a midnight showing of the Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises."

Holmes faces multiple counts of first-degree murder and attempted murder and hasn't yet entered a plea. His lawyers have said he suffers from mental illness.

The preliminary hearing, which starts Monday, will give the public its first officially sanctioned look at much of the evidence against Holmes.

Sylvester imposed a gag order shortly after Holmes' arrest barring attorneys and investigators from speaking publicly about the case, and many documents have been sealed.

The University of Colorado, where Holmes was a graduate student, has also been tight-lipped about the case.

At prosecutors' request, Sylvester barred the university from releasing records requested by numerous media organizations. Prosecutors argued that the information could jeopardize Holmes' right to a fair trial. Sylvester initially agreed but amended his order last month to allow the release after media organizations objected in court.

Holmes was enrolled in a Ph.D. neuroscience program at the university. He allegedly began stockpiling firearms and ammunition while taking classes in the spring.

In June, he made threats to a professor and on June 10 filed withdrawal papers after failing a year-end exam, prosecutors said. The next day he saw his school psychiatrist who tried to report him to a campus security committee, according to Holmes' lawyers.

 

MSN News on Facebook and Twitter

Stay up to date on breaking news and current events.
Friend us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/news.msn
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/msnnews