Officials say an overheated ventilation motor at the Excalibur casino caused a smoky smell and a two-hour evacuation of one of the casino's four towers.
LAS VEGAS — Officials say an overheated ventilation motor in Las Vegas' Excalibur casino caused a smoky smell and an evacuation in the wee hours of the morning.
MGM resorts spokesman Gordon Absher said hotel employees evacuated one of the Las Vegas Strip casino's four towers after alarms went off around 2 a.m. Tuesday. Guests were allowed back in two hours later.
There was no actual fire, but the smoke smell spread because it started in the ventilation system, Absher said.
The smoke smell was drawn down from the roof and permeated three floors in one 1,000-room tower. The machinery was nearly fixed a few hours later.
Strip hotels have adhered to strict fire codes enacted following two deadly high-rise hotel fires more than 30 years ago. The MGM Grand hotel blaze in November 1980 killed 87 people. An arson fire at the Las Vegas Hilton nearly three months later killed eight people.
MSN News on Facebook and Twitter