A $5,000 diamond was recovered by an 80-year-old woman's doctor after she accidentally swallowed the jewel while sipping champagne.
TAMPA, Fla. — The idea behind the Tampa Women's Club charity event was simple. For $20, you could buy a flute of champagne and a chance to win a one-carat, $5,000 diamond.
Organizers of the Saturday event placed $10 cubic zirconia stones in the bottom of 399 of the 400 champagne glasses. The prized diamond, donated by Continental Wholesale Diamonds, was placed in the last.
The problem? Eighty-year-old Miriam Tucker accidentally swallowed it.
Tucker told local news media that she didn't want to put her finger in the champagne, so she drank a bit. While laughing with women at the table, she realized she swallowed it.
Embarrassed, she had to tell jewelers who were frantically searching for the winner.
Already scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday, she had a doctor recover the jewel.
MSN News on Facebook and Twitter
Stay up to date on breaking news and current events.
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/news.msn
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/msnnews