Kenneth Conley is still on the run after escaping from his cell on Dec. 18.
CHICAGO — The FBI is still searching for one of two convicted bank robbers who escaped last week from a high-rise jail in downtown Chicago by lowering themselves on a makeshift rope nearly 20 stories to the street.
Kenneth Conley, 38, and his cellmate, Joseph Jose Banks, 37, escaped from the Metropolitan Correctional Center early on the morning of Dec. 18. The pair apparently broke a window in the cell they shared, squeezed through the opening and lowered themselves to the street.
They then hailed a cab to make their getaway.
Banks was captured two days later, but Conley remains at large.
"There is no information or recent sightings," said FBI spokeswoman Joan Hyde. "Given the amount of time that has passed given Mr. Conley's history of traveling, we believe he has left the area."
The FBI is offering a $50,000 reward for Conley's capture. He is described as white, 6 feet tall and 185 pounds.
The two convicts, who had been awaiting sentencing in the federal detention facility, made their rope from bed sheets and dental floss, according to local media reports.
Conley pleaded guilty to bank robbery in October. He is considered armed and dangerous, the FBI said.
Escape carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
MSN News on Facebook and Twitter
Stay up to date on breaking news and current events.
Friend us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/news.msn
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/msnnews