Maine girl's phone catches fire in her pocket

Gregory Rocco, of Brooklyn, NY, looks at an iPhone 5C on display at the Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York City.

A school principal in Maine says an eighth-grade student heard a popping sound before her pants caught fire from the phone in her pocket.

KENNEBUNK, Maine — The "stop, drop and roll" mantra came in handy for a Maine eighth-grader when her phone caught fire in her pocket at school.

Kennebunk Middle School Principal Jeff Rodman tells The Portland Press Herald that the girl heard a popping sound Friday morning and smoke started billowing around her.

Boys were herded from the room so the 14-year-old girl could shed her flaming pants. She also did the "stop, drop and roll" move to help put out the fire. She was treated at a hospital.

Her mother had given her the Apple iPhone 5C two months earlier.

——

Join MSN News on social

Share your point of view with us on Facebook

Get the latest news and updates on Twitter

See photos and videos on tumblr