Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger confirmed with CNBC that the company is working on stand-alone films based on the "Star Wars" galaxy and some of its characters.
Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger says screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone "Star Wars" movies that aren't part of the planned new trilogy.
Iger told CNBC on Tuesday that the stand-alone movies will be based on "great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, starting in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."
According to Entertainment Weekly, two of the projects will feature a young Han Solo and the bounty hunter Boba Fett.
Entertainment Weekly reported that sources close to the project confirmed that one move will be "a young Han Solo saga, focusing on the wisecracking smuggler's origin story," and the other will be "a bounty hunter adventure with Boba Fett at the center of a rogue's gallery of galactic scum."
Han Solo's story will take place between "Revenge of the Sith" and the first "Star Wars" movie and will require a younger actor than Harrison Ford, Entertainment Weekly reported. The report said Boba Fett's film will take place "either between 'A New Hope' and 'The Empire Strikes Back,' or between 'Empire' and 'Jedi'."
Entertainment Weekly reported the timing of the two spin-offs would allow for Darth Vader to return as the stories' villain.
Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.
The "Star Wars" prequel trilogy was released from 1999 to 2005.
Additional reporting by MSN News.
MSN News on Facebook and Twitter
Stay up to date on breaking news and current events.
Friend us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/news.msn
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/msnnews