"Silver Linings Playbook" and DreamWorks’ "Lincoln" lead the pack with four Screen Actors Guild award nominations each.
"Silver Linings Playbook" took a big step toward awards gold on Wednesday morning.
The David O. Russell-directed dramedy leads the pack with four Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, including best actor and actress for its leads Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Cooper plays a man just out of a mental rehab center; Lawrence is a recent widow dealing with some depression. With Robert De Niro scoring a supporting actor nom for what many consider to be his best role in years, the film about an idiosyncratic group of family and friends in Philadelphia also earned a best ensemble cast nomination.
Also earning four nominations was DreamWorks' "Lincoln," which saw Daniel Day-Lewis earn a best actor nom, Sally Field take a best supporting actress bid, Tommy Lee Jones score a supporting nomination and the cast put up for the ensemble prize.
Including a stunt ensemble, "Les Misérables" was the third film to get four nominations, as Hugh Jackman was recognized for best actor, Anne Hathaway for supporting actress and the cast for ensemble.
Perhaps coming as a surprise was the strength of Fox Searchlight's retirement dramedy "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," which earned an ensemble nom and saw Maggie Smith take a supporting actress nomination. Along with her "Downton Abbey" actress and ensemble nomination, she leads with four bids.
CBS' nerd comedy "The Big Bang Theory" scored best actor (Jim Parsons) and ensemble noms.
Dick Van Dyke will receive the guild's Lifetime Achievement Award.
The full list is below:
19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards Nominations
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook; Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln; Hugh Jackman in Les Miserables; Denzel Washington in Flight; John Hawkes in The Sessions
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty; Marion Cotillard in Rust and Bone; Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook; Helen Mirren in Hitchcock; Naomi Watts in The Impossible
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Alan Arkin in Argo; Javier Bardem in Skyfall; Robert De Niro in Silver Linings Playbook; Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master; Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Sally Field in Lincoln; Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables; Helen Hunt in The Sessions; Nicole Kidman in The Paperboy; Maggie Smith in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln, Les Miserables, Argo, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Kevin Costner in Hatfields & McCoys; Woody Harrelson in Game Change; Ed Harris in Game Change; Clive Owen in Hemingway & Gellhorn; Bill Paxton in Hatfields & McCoys
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nicole Kidman in Hemingway & Gellhorn; Julianne Moore in Game Change; Charlotte Rampling in Restless; Sigourney Weaver in Political Animals; Alfre Woodard in Steel Magnolias
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series: Steve Buscemi in Boardwalk Empire; Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad; Jeff Daniels in The Newsroom; Jon Hamm in Mad Men; Damian Lewis in Homeland
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series: Claire Danes in Homeland; Michelle Dockery in Downton Abbey; Jessica Lange in American Horror Story: Asylum; Julianna Margulies in The Good Wife; Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series: Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock; Ty Burrell in Modern Family; Louis C.K. in Louie; Jim Parsons in The Big Bang Theory; Eric Stonestreet in Modern Family
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series: Tina Fey in 30 Rock; Edie Falco in Nurse Jackie; Amy Poehler in Parks and Recreation; Sofia Vergara in Modern Family; Betty White Hot in Cleveland
- Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Homeland, Mad Men
- Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: 30 Rock, Glee, The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, The Office, Nurse Jackie
- Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture: The Amazing Spider-Man, The Bourne Legacy, The Dark Knight Rises, Les Miserables, Skyfall
- Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series: Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead
LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- Dick Van Dyke
The Hollywood Reporter contributed to this story.