'Thunder' case suspect balks at Vegas court trip

Joey Kadmiri was arrested Tuesday, March 18, 2014, on attempted murder, armed robbery and burglary with a weapon charge.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A man accused of firing a gun as he tried to make off with costumes and props used by the Thunder From Down Under male revue refused Friday to attend an initial court appearance.

Defendant Joey Kadmiri, 24, balked at leaving jail for his scheduled appearance on felony attempted murder, armed robbery, burglary and weapon charges, court officers told Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Deborah Lippis.

The judge could have issued a court order to have Kadmiri brought to court, but she simply reset his hearing for Monday.

Kadmiri also faces kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon, coercion and battery charges stemming from a warrant issued in a separate November domestic violence case.

No one was wounded in the Tuesday incident at the Excalibur Hotel and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip.

A 55-year-old member of the Australia-themed men's dance revue was treated at the scene for minor facial injuries, and Kadmiri was hospitalized overnight with injuries including a black eye after being subdued by several heavily muscled male dancers.

A defense lawyer has not been assigned to Kadmiri's case, and it wasn't clear if he had hired an attorney. He could face up to life in prison if convicted of the most serious kidnapping and attempted murder charges.

Witnesses told police that Kadmiri pointed a gun at one show member's head before another cast member jostled the suspect's hand and the shot hit a wall.

Kadmiri was booked Wednesday into the Clark County jail, and was being held without bail.

Police said they seized an unregistered .44-caliber Magnum handgun that fell to the floor in the scuffle.

Kadmiri had been confronted by the show director and others as he tried to take a suitcase with show props and clothes, police said.

_____

Find Ken Ritter on Twitter: http://twitter.com/krttr