LA police release name of suspect in girl's abduction case

Los Angeles police say Tobias Dustin Summers is a suspect in the abduction of a 10-year-old girl.

LOS ANGELES — Police on Saturday released the name of a man suspected in the abduction of a 10-year-old girl who was snatched from her San Fernando Valley home before dawn last week and abandoned hours later in front of a hospital.

Tobias Dustin Summers, a 30-year-old man who was recently released from prison, was identified as a "child-kidnapping suspect," Los Angeles police said. Summers has a lengthy criminal record, having been arrested in the past for robbery, grand theft auto and kidnapping, according to authorities.

Dozens of detectives worked around the clock looking for clues since the girl was abducted from her home on Wednesday. She was found hours later, wandering near a Starbucks several miles from her home.

The girl was barefoot, scratched and not wearing the same clothes she had on when she vanished. She told the police two men she didn't recognize had taken her from her home.

Investigators have said they believe the girl was driven around the San Fernando Valley in a couple of cars and taken to at least two locations, including a storage facility, before she was released.

A passer-by who recognized her picture from media reports saw her outside the Starbucks and called police. The girl had wandered there from the hospital where she had been dropped.

The girl has said the two men who kidnapped her before dawn Wednesday were strangers, and the abduction was being treated as a random event that could present a threat to the community, police said.

Investigators were canvassing the area's surveillance cameras, checking on local registered sex offenders, and digging into any possible clues related to the girl's family, acquaintances and Internet contacts.

The public was being asked to provide any scrap of potential information.

"We're taking this very seriously and we want to bring closure to it as soon as we can," Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese said.

The girl's aunt, Christine Stackhouse, said she had told the girl "that she's going to be OK, that we're going to protect her and the police are going to find the criminals," she told KABC-TV.

The girl was recovering, she added.

"She wants to go to church on Easter Sunday, she wants to pick up Easter eggs, and all that stuff," Stackhouse said.

Police officials have publicly said the girl had bruises and scratches and was in shock when she was found. She was barefoot and was wearing an oversized white T-shirt — not the same clothing she had on when her parents checked on her before the abduction, police have said.

The Los Angeles Times reported that law enforcement sources said she was sexually assaulted.

The Associated Press does not identify victims of sexual assault.

The case is being treated as a "stranger abduction" but investigators also were looking at whether there might be a connection to a 2008 case, Albanese said.

That case involved two brothers who took their three sons out of the country without permission of their ex-wives. One boy was Stackhouse's son, which would make him a cousin of the abducted girl.

The youngsters and the brothers were found in the Netherlands in 2010. The brothers pleaded guilty to international parent kidnapping and sentenced last year to 27 months in prison. They were released in October.

——

MSN News on Facebook and Twitter

Stay up to date on breaking news and current events.

Friend us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/news.msn

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/msnnews